Saturday, September 10, 2011

Hooray, I'm Back!!

Hello again! After a nasty, evil virus ate my computer, I was out of the blogging business for nearly six weeks.  I missed my blogging habit terribly.  But I am finally back at it!  And now I have a TON of catching up to do.  The most significant event of the last month was getting Rachel moved out of the house and off to her first semester of college at Southern Utah University.  What a heart wrenching process that was!  She is quite the pack rat, so there was an unbelievable amount of stuff to go through, box up, and throw away. 


But somehow we got it done, and on August 17th we loaded up the car and drove three and a half hours south to Cedar City.  After a quick lunch at Costa Vida--Rachel's choice--we drove to campus where we got her dorm assignment at Juniper Hall and picked up her keys. We unloaded her bicycle and boxes, made up her bed and helped with a little unpacking.  We met her cute roommate, Brook from Texas, and did a bit of site seeing around campus.  She lives right across the street from the library, and just down the sidewalk from the cafeteria and student center.  It is a beautiful campus!


There were a few tears as we said our goodbyes, hugged, and drove away.  Oh, so painful to reflect on that moment!  I get a little teary just thinking about it.  Her first couple of days were scary and lonely for her and me, we talked, texted and facebooked multiple times.  Thank goodness for modern technology!  It has made this process much more bearable.  But each day has been a little better than the day before, and now, nearly three weeks later, I can tell she is happy.  She came home last weekend for Labor Day, it was wonderful to have her home!  She was full of stories about her new life, new classes, new dorm mates, new experiences.  What a strong, brave young woman she is, I am incredibly proud of her!