Before we left on our trip we did a little research on the "must-see" attractions of New Orleans, Preservation Hall was on every list. So we looked it up and found that they are a group of authentic jazz musicians who perform classic, old-time dixieland jazz. They do two shows each night at an old performance hall located just off of Bourbon Street. Oh my, they were amazing!
The place is very small and crowded, it holds maybe fifty people who sit on old wooden benches or stand packed together in the back. Dim lighting, peeling paint, rickety ceiling fans, and yellowing posters on the walls add to the ambience. There is no stage, just a space up front where the band sits and plays. There are six members of the band comprised of a trumpet, sax, trombone, piano, bass and drums. They were phenomenal! It felt like we were viewing some old-time jazz movie, Kent and I felt transported. It just swept us away! The entire room was tapping our feet, bopping our heads and loving every minute of it. Click here for a glimpse. I am now a big fan of old-time jazz, I've since created an entire unit to teach in my music classes this year. I bought their CD, a couple of books and a documentary DVD about them. It was a magical, unforgettable night.