...large groups of people--women and men--wearing flamboyant red dresses, walking the streets with a beer in hand. There were THOUSANDS of them and they were everywhere! They came in every size, age and gender, and oh my, they were having a great time. It was the strangest, most hilarious thing I've ever seen in my life! We found out that this was the day of the annual Red Dress Run, it's a New Orleans tradition we had never heard of. Apparently it occurs in select cities around the world at different times, but New Orleans is the biggest. Every year on the second Saturday in August, people from all over come to New Orleans, put on their prettiest red dress and run from bar to bar, getting drunk and living it up. The participants are required to register, and all proceeds go to local charities. Last year they raised over ninety thousand dollars. But I'm pretty sure it is mostly an excuse to dress up, act silly and get drunk. I told Kent this has got to be the wierdest city in the world! And I really hope we'll go back again someday.
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Red Dress Run
OK, this is my last post on our trip to New Orleans, but I couldn't wrap it up without documenting how quirky, fun and bizarre this place really is. On our last day in the city we had a few hours before we had to head to the airport, so we wanted to make the most of them. As we headed out for our last morning of sightseeing, this is what we saw...
...large groups of people--women and men--wearing flamboyant red dresses, walking the streets with a beer in hand. There were THOUSANDS of them and they were everywhere! They came in every size, age and gender, and oh my, they were having a great time. It was the strangest, most hilarious thing I've ever seen in my life! We found out that this was the day of the annual Red Dress Run, it's a New Orleans tradition we had never heard of. Apparently it occurs in select cities around the world at different times, but New Orleans is the biggest. Every year on the second Saturday in August, people from all over come to New Orleans, put on their prettiest red dress and run from bar to bar, getting drunk and living it up. The participants are required to register, and all proceeds go to local charities. Last year they raised over ninety thousand dollars. But I'm pretty sure it is mostly an excuse to dress up, act silly and get drunk. I told Kent this has got to be the wierdest city in the world! And I really hope we'll go back again someday.
...large groups of people--women and men--wearing flamboyant red dresses, walking the streets with a beer in hand. There were THOUSANDS of them and they were everywhere! They came in every size, age and gender, and oh my, they were having a great time. It was the strangest, most hilarious thing I've ever seen in my life! We found out that this was the day of the annual Red Dress Run, it's a New Orleans tradition we had never heard of. Apparently it occurs in select cities around the world at different times, but New Orleans is the biggest. Every year on the second Saturday in August, people from all over come to New Orleans, put on their prettiest red dress and run from bar to bar, getting drunk and living it up. The participants are required to register, and all proceeds go to local charities. Last year they raised over ninety thousand dollars. But I'm pretty sure it is mostly an excuse to dress up, act silly and get drunk. I told Kent this has got to be the wierdest city in the world! And I really hope we'll go back again someday.