Sunday, September 27, 2009

Garden Harvest

We've been so pleased with our garden this year. We've had an abundance of peas, cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers, grapes and strawberries. It was also the summer of raspberries which grow all along the back fence. We put in 12 raspberry plants four summers ago, and this is the first year they've done well. For about a month I picked a big bowl every morning, and we were all--including the neighbor kids--picking sweet, juicy handfuls every time we were out in the yard. Next summer we'll have even more.Another surprise was the little apple tree on the side of the back yard. We couldn't believe the number of apples it produced! They are perfect...big, round and rosy...now we just need the actual tree to grow!

Each year we try at least one new garden project...this year we thought we'd give watermelons a try. Right now we've got five small watermelons plugging along...if the frost would hold off for a few more weeks I think they'd get to be pretty good sized. However, I'm not holding my breath, the first frost will probably happen this week.
And of course, I can't forget the pumpkins. Again, we have a couple of massive pumpkins peeking through, along with several smaller ones. Next week I'll pick them to decorate the front porch, and we'll carve them a few weeks later.
Adieu to my garden for a few months. Sleep well, I'll see you in May!