Saturday, September 27, 2008

MUSIC TEACHER

I have such a fun job, here is just a sampling of who I get to hang out with, and what I get to do each day...Aren't they cute! I love them all! This is my third year of being an elementary school music specialist, and I'm pretty sure this job was custom made for me. I earned my El. Ed. degree from BYU when I was expecting my first baby, but at that time I had no interest in pursuing a teaching career, I wanted and needed to be home with my baby. So I became a stay-at-home mom and put my teaching aspirations on the shelf. A few years later my teaching certificate expired, I didn't care. At that point I had three little ones, and other than a few piano students, my teaching career was the last thing on my mind. I was completely contented and fulfilled being at home. But twelve years passed, and suddenly all my babies were in school full time. Stefanie started 1st grade, and that's when I began thinking again about teaching. I took a load of classes to get my teaching certificate updated, and then I prayed that Heavenly Father would lead me to something that would be challenging and rewarding for me, but wouldn't take time away from my family. And that is when this opportunity pretty much fell into my lap. I'm so grateful.
Top ten reasons why I love my job...
10) I love kids! They are open and sincere and have such a sweetness about them.
9) They love me! Every day from the moment I arrive at school I get multitudes of hugs and compliments.
8) I've got my own adorable classroom that I've decorated with every musical thing you can imagine.
7) I get to create my own lesson plans based around state curriculum. What freedom!

6) I enjoy the challenge of coming up with ideas that (hopefully) my students will respond to.
5) I like associating with other professional educators. I truly admire these dedicated classroom teachers.
4) I teach eight 30-minute classes each day, and every three weeks I get a new group of students.

3) I'm developing and strengthening skills of teaching, technology, organization, preparation, public speaking, patience, cooperation, leadership, responsibility, classroom management, etc....
2) I have lots of stories to tell each day about all the funny things my students do and say.
1) My own children hardly know they have a working mom...I leave for work after they leave for school, and get home when they do. Plus, I have holidays and summers off. It couldn't work out better and has been an incredible blessing for me and my family.