Happy
Easter my son! So glad it is Monday again and we will get to hear from
you. How we love Mondays! We had a good Easter weekend, on Saturday
Rachel and George came over to color Easter eggs, then we went to Draper
City park for a picnic. Church was great on Sunday, the best part was
when the primary children sang in Sacrament meeting. Then for Sunday
dinner we had ham and cheesy potatoes and ate all of Stefanie's Easter
chocolate. How did you celebrate Easter? Are the traditions in
Honduras the same as in the USA?
Friday we went to a wedding reception for Parker Beveridge, remember him? He played basketball for Dad his very first year at Copper Hills, then he was his sophomore coach a few years later. It was a fun night for Dad, he saw a ton of his former basketball players and students and spent all evening catching up. He loved it.
Today is the Boston Marathon, I have been following it on TV this morning. They are currently an hour and a half into it. If you remember, last year was the bombing that killed and wounded dozens of people at the finish line, so there has been a lot of hype surrounding it this year. Wow, those runners are amazing!! Dad wants to run a half or full marathon this summer, he hasn't decided which one, but he is starting to train and get in shape. He had two track meets this past week, I think his long distance runners have inspired him!
I recently read an article from this month's Ensign called, "The Blessings of Perserverance" by Elder Claudio D. Zivic. It is a great article I have been thinking of it while watching the marathoners this morning, I think it applies to serving a mission as well! He said, "To persevere means to maintain the ability to endure, to carry on, to continue in the same state without weakening or perishing. It is being able to go on in the face of pain, oppression, discouragement or suffering without being defeated." He told of several examples in the scriptures of perseverance including the Apostle Paul, Joseph of Egypt, Joseph Smith, and especially Jesus Christ. He said, "He understands our pain, depression, anguish, infirmities and fears. He knows how to help us, encourage us, comfort us, and give us strength to persevere and obtain the crown that is reserved for those who endure."
I am so proud of you as you persevere in serving your mission. What a great example you are to me and everyone who knows you! I'm sure it is not easy! I pray constantly for your health, safety and success. Can't wait until Mother's Day when we will get to talk to you again!
Love, Mom
Friday we went to a wedding reception for Parker Beveridge, remember him? He played basketball for Dad his very first year at Copper Hills, then he was his sophomore coach a few years later. It was a fun night for Dad, he saw a ton of his former basketball players and students and spent all evening catching up. He loved it.
Today is the Boston Marathon, I have been following it on TV this morning. They are currently an hour and a half into it. If you remember, last year was the bombing that killed and wounded dozens of people at the finish line, so there has been a lot of hype surrounding it this year. Wow, those runners are amazing!! Dad wants to run a half or full marathon this summer, he hasn't decided which one, but he is starting to train and get in shape. He had two track meets this past week, I think his long distance runners have inspired him!
I recently read an article from this month's Ensign called, "The Blessings of Perserverance" by Elder Claudio D. Zivic. It is a great article I have been thinking of it while watching the marathoners this morning, I think it applies to serving a mission as well! He said, "To persevere means to maintain the ability to endure, to carry on, to continue in the same state without weakening or perishing. It is being able to go on in the face of pain, oppression, discouragement or suffering without being defeated." He told of several examples in the scriptures of perseverance including the Apostle Paul, Joseph of Egypt, Joseph Smith, and especially Jesus Christ. He said, "He understands our pain, depression, anguish, infirmities and fears. He knows how to help us, encourage us, comfort us, and give us strength to persevere and obtain the crown that is reserved for those who endure."
I am so proud of you as you persevere in serving your mission. What a great example you are to me and everyone who knows you! I'm sure it is not easy! I pray constantly for your health, safety and success. Can't wait until Mother's Day when we will get to talk to you again!
Love, Mom