Saturday, March 2, 2013

Pink Balloons

It has been a really hard week at school.  A sweet little first grade girl named Dani passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on Monday night.  Her class came to music every day this week, several of her classmates broke my heart as they sadly told me that their friend had died.  It was impossible for me to hide my tears.  Two of Dani's siblings attend my school, her 6th grade sister, April, was a member of my Christmas chime group this year.  On Tuesday morning the principal sent an email to the entire staff telling us what had happened and giving direction on how to answer possible questions. A group of moms came to school on Thursday afternoon with pink balloons for each of the kids in Dani's class to write little messages to her, then they took them outside and released them.

Last night I attended the viewing.  Dani's sweet body looked so beautiful, just like a little porcelain doll.  Not sure if I should have gone, I wanted to be strong but broke down the moment I began speaking to her mother.  It was comforting to see several members of the faculty and staff and many of her classmates from school, we were all quite overcome and couldn't speak much to each other. What a powerful reminder that life is fragile, and that each of these little people I see every day at school are so very, very precious.