Thursday, December 20, 2012

Christmas Music

One of my favorite traditions at Christmastime is the music.  I love it so much.  It is playing on my radio or CD player almost constantly, and I have so much fun singing Christmas songs and carols at school with my cute elementary students.  I especially enjoy directing my little chime choir.  We had four performances last month, they were each fantastic.  Here we are at a concert performing for the school. I have no idea who took this picture, it was posted on the front page of my school website!  I was surprised to see it there!

For the past two years I have "borrowed" the chimes and put together a ward chime choir.  This year we performed at the ward Christmas party, at a stake Christmas musical fireside, and in Sacrament Meeting.  So fun! 

Another musical highlight I had this Christmas was attending a sing-along of Handel's Messiah by the Mountain West Chorale.  My brother was one of the soloists, and he invited us to attend.  Wow, it was incredible!  I studied the life of George Frederick Handel a few years ago for a unit I taught my 5th and 6th grade classes, I have such great respect and admiration for him! It was really neat to be able to sit and listen/sing along with his inspired music.  A full orchestra provided accompaniment, and the audience was encouraged to join in. I have a CD of the Tabernacle Choir singing the Messiah, I listened to it often this Christmas season in preparation for the Sing-In, so I was familiar with much of the score and was able to keep up with some of it, but it is complicated! I enjoyed it very much. 

Also, Stefanie performed twice this Christmas season with her middle school advanced orchestra class.  She has improved so much.  I am proud she is developing her violin talent.