Sunday, October 18, 2009

Random Thoughts on a Sunday Morning

We got "boo-ed" last night. We found a note, a plate of goodies, and a copy of a ghost on our doorstep, after a doorbell ditch. Now tomorrow we have to do it to two of our neighbors. This is an annual October occurance in this neighborhood, in fact, some years we've been the ones to start it. I love our neighborhood!

********************************
This week the kids and I got two days off from school for fall break. Unfortunately Kent's fall break was last week. But we had a great week with sunny skies and beautiful autumn weather. Saturday evening we took Stefanie and two friends to "Cornbellys", a local pumpkin festival. It has a 12-acre corn maze, hay ride, pig races, haunted house, and lots of other games and activities. She had a blast.


*****************************************************************************
Earlier this week I took dinner to a friend who is going through a devastating divorce. We had a long, heartfelt conversation. My heart is aching for her, and for her three young children. I wish I could do more to help her. It is a powerful reminder for me not to take my sweet husband and my marriage for granted.
*******************************************************************************
I've joined a book club again. I was a member of a book club for over six years when we lived in our first house. I really loved it, read each book faithfully and looked forward to our monthly meetings. But the majority of our group gradually dropped out or moved away so the club was dissolved. I've missed it, I'm excited to be in one again. Our first meeting was last week, I loved it.
********************************************************************************
I came across this picture recently and it gave me a smile. Braden has been playing on a super-league soccer team for seven years now, he started on this team when he was seven years old. He still has the same coaches and most of the same boys on the team, they have literally grown up together, and are best friends as well as teammates. He is now just finishing the fall soccer season, they are in a State Cup tournament this week. These boys are now much bigger, faster, and much more competitive. But they used to be so little and cute!


*****************************************************

Kent just accepted a new church calling in our ward...Young Men 1st counselor. He has seven 14-16 year old boys in his group, including Braden. He'll be great at it.

******************************************************
Last August Rachel went to Preston for the weekend, as she does every summer, to visit Grandma & Grandpa Kindred and to see the famous Preston rodeo. While she was there, my photographer sister Amy took the opportunity for a photo shoot. I didn't even know about it until the pictures arrived this week. Rachel is quite the little cowgirl! This one was my favorite...


***********************************************************
I've got 4o ukeleles in my basement right now in a very big box. A few weeks ago my principal acquired some extra funds that I found out about and begged for, and he agreed! Thank you Mr. Martin! Ever since I attended that music teacher seminar back in June I've been dying to get my hands on a bunch of ukeleles. I called every music store in the county, seeking after the best deal and I got one. I can't wait to teach my 6th graders how to jam out Hawaiian style!