Friday, March 13, 2009

Temple Open House

We took our girls to the Draper temple open house yesterday, it was beautiful. We hurried home from school and arrived there as soon as we could, but we sure didn't beat any crowds...it was packed! We first were directed to a local church building where we waited in the cultural hall for about an hour before we were taken to a smaller room to watch a video. Then we boarded a bus that took us up steep winding roads to the temple. It was stunning, and worth the wait.

The exterior of the temple is made of white granite, it is truly an impressive sight up on the hill overlooking the valley. But the inside is even more incredible.

Of course they won't let you take pictures inside the temple, I exported these from dnews.com and created this collage. I especially loved the furnishings and art work all throughout the temple, including the stained glass windows. The murals in the ordinance rooms are amazing, I could spend an hour in each room just looking at all the details. Kent asked one of the ushers where they got all the paintings, she said several of them were original pieces created specifically for the Draper temple. Stefanie was intrigued by the enormous chandeleir in the celestial room and the "cows" under the baptismal font. Rachel loved the bride's dressing room.

I'm so grateful for temples and that I was able to take my girls so they could see what this temple looks like on the inside. Braden had soccer practice so he wasn't with us, but he went with his young men group a couple of weeks ago, I'm glad he was able to see it too. Now we're looking forward to the dedication in a couple of weeks--where did I put those white hankies?