School is back in session! Our first morning was so fun as we welcomed the students to Saratoga Shores Elementary. Students were treated like royalty as they walked the literal red carpet into the school. Music blared as teachers and staff--dressed in orange vests and yellow hard hats--clapped, cheered, and gave high fives to each student as they entered the school. The smiles from the students were a joy to see...each child felt so excited and special! Our theme this year is "Building a Community of Learners", hence the hard hats and orange vests. Our new principal also had a huge bulldozer brought to the school for a faculty picture in our orange vests and yellow hats. It is going to be a fun year!
Obviously, I am still at Saratoga Shores as the music teacher. Unfortunately, no full-time job offers came my way this summer. But I have not given up! Every interview gave me insight and experience. The feedback I was able to get was that I do not have enough experience in the classroom teaching math and literacy. Frustrating, because I honestly believe that a dedicated, effective teacher is a dedicated, effective teacher, regardless of content. I can LEARN the content! And I KNOW that I am a good teacher. I know my strengths, and I know what I need to work on. So this year I plan to enroll in several professional development classes, and spend time observing and volunteering in various classes around the district. Also, I was told by two different principals that I was a strong candidate. That is encouraging. So in the meantime I plan to be the best music teacher ever, and completely enjoy a stress-free year. Cheers to the 2013-2014 school year!
