Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Reflections


These are the only two decent pictures I got of Christmas morning, because Rachel was grumpy and threatened me that I had better not even point my camera in her direction.  In her defense, she was just getting over the stomach flu and hadn't showered, dressed or combed her hair for two days.  So, as difficult and painful as it was, I put the camera away, and Christmas morning remained mostly undocumented on film.  But here are a few reflections...

* As mentioned, this was the Christmas of a nasty 48-hour stomach flu.  We all came down with it the week of Christmas--except for Kent.  Stefanie got it on the 20th, and did nothing but vomit and lay on the couch for two days.  Rachel followed two days later, and  it caught up to Braden on Christmas morning.  Poor kid!  Then I succumbed the next day.  Ugh.

* In spite of this, it was a very nice Christmas.  It was wonderful to celebrate Christmas on a Sunday.  I loved worshiping at church with the healthy members of my family (Kent and Stefanie) and participating in the musical program presented by the ward choir. 

* As part of the Sacrament Meeting program, I directed a chime choir of women and girls from my ward, we performed "Away In A Manger".  It was lovely!  We had performed a couple of numbers earlier in the month at the ward Christmas party--Silver Bells and Silent Night--and the bishopric liked it so much, they asked us to perform a hymn in Sacrament Meeting.  Earlier in the week, we did a little show for the residents of Greenwood Manor, an old folks home here in Lehi.  I was grateful for the many opportunities to give praise through music!

*As is our tradition, we celebrated Christmas Eve by going out to dinner, and to a movie.  We ate at Rodizio, then saw "We Bought a Zoo".  Cute movie we all loved!  Poor Rachel missed out on all the festivities, and spent the day at home on the couch.  Boo!

* Monday evening we traveled to Preston to deliver a Christmas gift to my parents--a hardcover blog book of our family website, the Kindred Konnection.  I was so excited about this gift!  I had ordered it a few weeks before, and it turned out better than I expected!  We had a fun evening chatting and playing games with my parents and Tami and Brady.  Even though I didn't feel 100%, I was so glad we went.

 * I have loved having Rachel come home from college!  I remember last year, feeling a bit nostalgic that it was my last Christmas with all my chickies living at home with me.  But this has been delightful having her come home for Christmas!  It is true what they say about absence making the heart grow fonder.  We all have a deeper appreciation for family togetherness, and it is a tangible feeling in our home.  I love my family!