Monday, February 22, 2010

Olympic Fever

We love watching the Olympics at our house. Nearly every evening for the past week and a half we've gathered together in front of the TV to cheer on Team USA.

I asked my family what their favorite winter events are, here are our responses:

Kent: "That new ski cross event, nascar on the slopes."
Rachel: "The skeleton and the downhill. "
Braden: "The half pipe. Shawn White is sick! And the moguls."

Stefanie: "Hockey!" (She loves the movie "Miracle" about the US hockey team.)

Me: "Women's figure skating and (don't laugh) ice dancing."


It brings back memories of 2002 when the winter Olympics were held in Salt Lake City. It was awesome! Kent and I, along with Bryan & Katie (my brother & sister-in-law) went to the 2-women bobsled event in Park City where USA took the gold. It was so exciting to be there, I'll never forget it.

Rachel was in the 4th grade at the time, she got to go to an Olympic hockey game. Her elementary school took a group of top students to the Peaks Ice Arena in Provo to watch Russia vs. Norway. She said she cheered for Russia! She had so much fun.

That brings to mind a family story we laugh about every time the winter olympics comes around. In 1998 they were held in Nagano, Japan, and Braden had just turned 3-years-old. We were watching the 4-man bobsled event, Braden was really intrigued by it. After intently watching for awhile he asked Kent what it was, and Kent told him it was called "bobsled". After a moment of contemplation Braden asked very seriously,
"Which one's Bob?"
.

Ha/ha, we laughed our heads off over that, and now every time I see a bobsled competition I think to myself..."Which one's Bob?"