While we were in the midwest this week for the wedding, Kent and I wanted to take advantage of our time together with no kids! (A big thanks to my dear friend Debbie and my brother Kevin for watching out for my kids for four days!) So Wednesday we drove into Chicago and spent a delightful evening in the city.

We walked the streets of Chicago, and took in the sights, smells and sounds of Navy Pier.

Navy Pier is a 3000 foot long pier on the shoreline of Lake Michigan. It has the most impressive view of the Chicago skyline I've ever seen, especially at night. I was surprised to learn that it is the Midwest's #1 tourist attraction!

It has quaint little shops, themed restaraunts, outdoor cafes, botanical gardens, a giant ferris wheel and carousel, outdoor jazz bands, lots of vendors, a couple of museums and theaters, and tons and tons of people! It also has huge cruise and sight-seeing ships all lined up along the pier.


It was named
"Navy Pier" in honor of World War I veterans. Kent recalls visiting the Pier a couple of times as a kid, but about 10 years ago it underwent a huge multi-million dollar renovation, so it is very different now than from what he remembers.

We had such a lovely evening, just the two of us. I'm so glad we were able to break away for a few hours and spend this time together.